Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Big City Livin'

I write this post as I'm in NYC. Since I've been in town, I've experienced quite a bit. No, this isn't my first trip to the Big Apple but it is the most time I have spent here. As I sat at Rockefeller Center tonight and enjoyed some delicious salmon I really started thinking about how grateful I was that I moved away and experienced different adventures. That I lived in two larger cities since 2006; Kansas City and Chicago, which are both extremely different and most importantly, experienced life outside Nebraska and my comfort zone. And how nervous I may have been be to venture out in NYC alone, but instead how confident and assured I felt.

There are certain advantages to living "away" and there are advantages to living in the city you were raised. Obviously, in life there are always trade-offs but that's stating the obvious. While I was in Chicago I loved the fast-paced, endless opportunity feeling. I loved the rush of working on Michigan Avenue and the downtown area. I felt that we could experience anything and take advantage of new opportunities. I guess when I reflect on Chicago, the word that always comes to my mind is "opportunity". I can't help but somewhat compare Chicago to New York. It definitely has the same "Wow" factor and I love the interesting and uniqueness of both cities. I love the melting pot of people and that I don't recognize a single soul. I love that everyone has their own style, their own thoughts and their own life story. I love that I can get lost wandering and exploring, knowing that there's always a cab driver to bail me out if I get lost. (HA!) Which I may have done once or twice ;)

The memories I have of Chicago and Kansas City are both very different and special in their own, and of course the memories I have of Omaha are very special as well. It's definitely a bittersweet transition as we yet again embark on a new chapter of our life together.

So cheers to life experiences and living life to the fullest. Taking advantages of opportunities and living with no regrets is one thing I hope I never change about myself and hope to teach my kids someday as well. My advice, not that you asked for it...: Take a chance. It's scary at first but I promise the payoff is much greater in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment