Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sandra Dee

We all have a favorite gift, but can you recall the best gift you ever received? Why was it the best? How did it make you feel? And 14 years later, do you still consider that to be the best gift?

On Friday, March 28, 1997 I was given the best gift I have ever received. A beautiful, snuggly and perfect golden retriever puppy. I had wanted a dog for so long and pleaded with my parents on what seemed like a daily ritual. One night, my dad had said he was running to the grocery store, when he came home he asked me to help him unload the groceries. I opened the car door and to my suprise, on the front seat was a box with my new puppy inside! I thanked God for this new miracle that was welcomed into our life.

I tossed around several different name ideas, Ginger, Chloe, Annie. Finally, we all agreed on Sandy which was the color of her fur. Sandra Dee Gottschalck, can you tell Grease was my favorite movie?

June 8, 1997, Sandy graduated from Puppy School. Little did I know, for the next 2 years she would still be a puppy chasing my 3 nieces and nephews around the backyard and teething on my clothes, putting holes in my favorite shirts. But like all terrible two's she grew out of it. And she grew up to be a strong, smart and loyal companion. Many nights she would come into my bedroom, opening the door with just her nose, seemingly just to check on me.

Sandy's favorite things were playing ball, singing (Yes, really!), going for walks, getting her hair brushed, eating popcorn, going 'bye-bye', playing in the snow, eating snow, running through the sprinkler and making our family happy. A dog's life is pretty simple and isn't that the best part?

Fast forward 14 years later. I'm not that 13 year old girl anymore but I remember that day like it was yesterday. The day Sandy came home to make our family whole. Sandy was now much older and wiser, in dog years she was almost 98. Her birthday was Febuary 2nd and she would be turning 14 this year.

We had been so blessed, as she was always a very healthy dog. Not until recent years, she had developed arthritis and a new torn ligament began taking a strong toll on her body. January 15th, we visited the vet and wheeled Sandy in on a stretcher. She was in a lot of pain and we began bracing ourselves for the worst news. I knew Sandy had been a happy dog and we had shared many memories together. But it was time to let go. On January 20th, 2011, God welcomed Sandy to heaven. I know there's lots of toys and plenty of space for her to run around to enjoy. I know she's back to her healthy self and she has been restored, she's not in pain anymore and she's enjoying God's peace.

Here's to Sandy, the best golden retriever a family could ever ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment